Monday, October 19, 2009

Bathtub caulking

So another little project I did was to recaulk between the bathtub liner and the tub. It's a temporary solution because we'd like to replace the whole liner so I didn't try to make it look all that nice but it's sooo much better than it was before. Whoever lived in a house a couple people ago (the last person was a bachelor who I'm sure didn't do anything, he was supposedly gone all the time working at a hospital somewhere) seems to have done several things for the house but I don't think they knew anything of what they were doing. Most of the upstairs has been painted but... they didn't finish any of it! There's spots they just plain missed, and they didn't get the paint to the edge and in one room they left the masking tape on the wall where they painted. It's going to take some work to get that off! They also updated some of the outlet covers, but some are just missing covers completely! The bathtub is another one of the things I'm just so confused about. When you do caulk you squeeze out a bunch of caulk where you need it then you push it into the hole and smooth it out at the same time. This seals the hole because it touches both sides everywhere and looks better. The caulk in our bathtub looked like they had tried caulking it several times but never did the smoothing/pushing step! There were just rows and rows of caulk and it was over an inch thick!!! Needless to say it wasn't sealed so water was getting behind it and one day some just fell out. We can't see behind the liner but I'm really hoping there's not any water damage. Which is another reason why I want to replace the liner... to look behind it!!

I tried to take pictures but the ones I took didn't turn out... it's hard to aim without looking! I'll do better about making sure I look to see what the pictures look like next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment