Sunday, April 11, 2010

March/April

Wow, it's been an eventful month and a half to say the least.

1-spring break
2-Weston's summer plans
3-new callings
4-adoption

So March started off fun with a great spring break spent out in Arizona with Weston's parents. We hiked the steeper side of Camelback (we hadn't done that one before),[This was in the shade in the morning, not at night]

ate some AMAZING food at some good restaurants (I have to say that every meal I had was delicious and I would order those things again, that's not a reaction that I usually have), saw my first 3D movie,
went to the temple, spent four hours bottling maple syrup at the church cannery (it was fun to do service, but I have to admit that the last 2 hours were pretty long), went shopping and was blessed with several gifts from Weston's mom (thank you!!!), I got in lots of reading and a new hair cut,
Weston played through all of lego star wars, spent lots of time with family (the most important thing), went to the Phoenix zoo,
[ducks swimming faster than the speed of ripples][pearl in the rough] [baby orangutan playing ghost][The birds weren't in a cage!]
and to highlight it all went to the big Renaissance fair
[there were skits, jousting, and cool crafts like burned iron jewelry and cool clasps on leather purses]

(thank you for the hair clip and the yummy food mom and dad!). It was good to get away! On the way home a friend gave us a ride home from the airport and we thought it'd be fun to make our own renaissance clothes and go to a fair around here as a big group. Hopefully we can pull that off this year or next : ) We had a wonderful neighbor and friend look after Snowy and we're so grateful to them! They kept her from being too sad I think and they warned us of smelling gas in our basement and our neighbor had her son come fix it for us! Snowy was so grateful to have us home, it made us feel good that she missed us so much.
[she's not devilish, she's just got red eyes in the picture, but it shows how much she likes pop tarts, she tore it off!]

Weston applied to get into a family practice preceptorship (where he gets paid to shadow a doctor for five weeks). He applied in January and was close to the first to get his application in. Two months later we kept following up on it and they kept saying "you'll get an email." Well, it never came, when everyone else's had. We asked about it and evidently all the spots were full and we just didn't get in. After many frustrating days and trying to figure out why and talking with people it turns out they never even LOOKED at Weston's application. From what they said they didn't read many (if any) of the applications at all and either picked people at random or had some other pre-determined way to choose who got accepted (probably students that had some other in). That was really frustrating news! So someone finally listened to us and he signed up for another opportunity where he would have helped promote abstinence as the only safe birth control. We were excited but then we got an email saying another doctor is willing to have someone shadow and so Weston gets to do the family preceptorship after all!!! We're so excited! We are blessed. So that will be from right after school ends in May until the end of June.

We've had a lot of change in callings this month. Phewww.... wow. First of all I got called in and was asked to be the ward camp director. I was kind of expecting it actually when I got called in. I'd talked to the previous camp director (I visit teach her) and when we talked I'd just had the feeling that it just might happen that I'd get it. So then I did! I'm excited but it's been a little crazy trying to figure out what to do since I'm coming into it a little late. Then the stake camp director (also in our ward) asked if I'd do crafts at camp too. So, I've been trying to think of that. Weston got called in the next week and was asked to be a den leader in cub scouts. It's the same boy that he has in primary and one from my class that will soon be 8. So, he'll have 1 or 2 boys that he'll be in charge of. He hasn't had to do anything for that calling yet but hopefully he will get to soon. Then of course we still taught our primary classes. But then a rather unexpected thing happened today. I was asked to go in early and they asked me to be the relief society secretary. So, today they released me as a primary worker and called me as the secretary. They called a whole new relief society and primary presidency, it was a large reshuffling of callings today. I don't think I'm going to be able to do the crafts for camp. (The director already somewhat talked to me). I'm slightly overwhelmed/in shock at the moment. I have a lot to figure out what I'm doing.

And last but probably the biggest piece of information. We've put in an application for adoption and are now starting the approval process. It is what we are supposed to be doing but it sure is going to be a long road and a lot of work to make anything happen. I'm mostly worried about getting the house up to pass the fire inspection. I don't know how strict they are going to be. Will the fact that we have old wiring make it unsafe?!?! It's a big financial commitment, so, we'll see how it goes.

Well, that's where we are. Sorry this was so long. Oh, and we had a wonderful conference weekend last weekend! We loved listening! And we went to the park before the Sat. morning one and played with some friends and their kids and then the next day they invited us over for a breakfast with some other families and we had such a good time! We really enjoyed just being with them, they were all so nice and friendly to talk to and we had fun. We hope we can do that again with the same group. Then we had dinner with a different set of friends that we always want to hang out with and are so nice to us. So all in all is was almost the most perfect weekend ever! : ) Life is good.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! That is quite the news. I'm so excited for you guys! I had no idea you were thinking about adopting. We wish you the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Your life sounds so exciting! I talked to my second cousin who just adopted and she said to just get your name out there. Tell everyone you know because then if they hear of someone who can't have the baby that's coming they can send the child your way. That didn't quite come out like I was hoping but I hope you understand what I meant. We hope all goes well and that things move quickly! Good luck with everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a fun vacation! I'm glad everything worked out with the doctor shadowing. What a pain to deal with. Good luck with the approval process. I hope everything goes smoothly and quickly so you can get to the next step.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! So you know you guys want to come down for Thunder this weekend;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll be great at girls camp and with the rs! I went to camp last year and it was so much fun- although the crafts part was a little crazy so maybe it's better if you skip it :) And good luck with the adoption approval/process! You guys will be fab parents. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help. I know a lot of people start up adoption blogs and whatnot so people have places to "check them out" :) If you get one up- we can send people your way.

    ReplyDelete